Sunday, February 7, 2010

Beauty- In the Eye of the friggen Beholder!

So, at church today, we had a lesson on Satan's various ways of tempting people and leading them astray. It was such a good lesson in so many ways, and I definitely enjoyed it. The thing is though, something was brought up and I realize that although, I am slightly taking it out of context, I felt compelled to address this particular issue.
One of the things that was mentioned in being one of Satan's tools was vanity. Now I realize that there are many people out there who take vanity to another level... (Ehem, Heidi Montag!) what with plastic surgery and people spending hours and hours each day to make themselves look like an artificial variation of themselves- and I do believe this is what our teacher was leaning toward...
However, I do not feel that taking half hour to an hour each day to look your best is necessarily a bad thing. I am not bringing this up specifically due to the lesson today, it has come up a few times lately (and not in a very flattering way either...).
I am irritated that people who take time to have their nails done, or get their highlights touched up, or even those who just take the time to look like they didn't just roll out of bed- are being attacked lately. And probably this has been going on for a long time, but it seems like it has been brought up to me tons in the past couple weeks.
I have had clients tell me that they need to color their hair darker to be taken more seriously. I have been told by a few people that they have to wear plainer clothes so they blend in with their co-workers better. I have had clients rag on people they know because they let their toddlers get their nails painted or their hair straightened/curled from time to time. I myself have been labeled high maintenance a number of times simply because I take the time to do my hair and make up once in a while.
People! Really?! I feel like in this day and age there is NOTHING wrong with trying to look our best. I am not saying that we all need to be beauty queens- I am far from that. All I am saying is, we have got to stop putting each other down for stupid things!!!
I realize that I am slightly more touchy about this due to the industry I work in, after all, if people stop caring about their appearance I am out a job. I just honestly feel like it is not that big of a deal for us be proud of our appearance.
And here is my dirty little confession- I actually paint Grace's nails quite a bit... and I even straighten her hair sometimes! Paint me materialistic, but I feel like it not only teaches Grace to not look like a slob, but the time we spend together actually feels like a bonding experience. And I dare someone to find fault in that!

9 comments:

kelseyp said...

Im with ya sista!... i just wish i could look as gorgeous as you in so little time. the thing that i think is so crazy about this all is you are one of the leaaaaast high maintenace people i know, yet you always look so put together and amazing! par example the minute after you give birth you look like a million bucks! anyway whatever i'm not jealous... except i totally am!

benandkristi said...

ur a you-know-what!!!!! whatever, you are a supermodel and you know it!

Baker Photography said...

I LOVE YOU! i love your posts and I 100% agree with you... 100%. That is so true i mean sometimes its nice to have a day or two to not get ready but there is nothing wrong with trying to look nice and impress the poeple who you love... you constantly need to fall in love with your hubby ( I believe) and I am pretty sure when people were dating they weren't slobbish looking... nice post..I better stop before I get to carried away.. but I LOVE you and think your beautiful and LOVE painted nails... *in fact i painted Z's big toe the other day when painting mine...lol...

lynz said...

diddo! i think that feeling and looking your best on a regular basis makes your quality of life better too! i have way better days when i take the time to do my hair (even if that just means putting it in a cute ponytail) and actually change out of my sweats and look presentable. i also find that i get more done, and what's wrong with that :)
i also love love love that you paint grace's nails. i would do that from day one if i had a girl, and i would love our bonding time and our cute little mom/daughter nails! you go girl!

Skye said...

You are fantastic! I LOVE that you paint your girlies nails and straighten their hair! That's what little girls are for right? So fun!

Carrie said...

I totally agree with you! It always drives me nuts when people say stuff like, "It only takes me 20 minutes to get ready including a shower - I think it's ridiculous that there are such high maintenance people out there that take an hour or more". And it's always coming from someone with naturally dark features who doesn't even need mascara, and hair that dries perfectly straight right out of the shower! Umm hello... I happen to have naturally blondish eyelashes, and curly hair that doesn't look curly OR staright when air dried!

Don't get me wrong, I go plenty of days with little or no makeup, but I always FEEL better, more like my best self when I put in a bit more effort. And there's nothing wrong with going all out and getting all gussied up every once in awhile too!

Love ya Kris!

the fellers said...

I paint Rylee's toes and nails, and really try to do her hair cutesie every day, I love it, and it makes her happy, so I agree. It is important for us to take care of ourselves, and be clean, etc. But I do think there is an extreme. I think a good indicator if you are spending too much time on your appearance is if things around you, like family, are neglected because of it. I dont think you are like that, and there are a lot of people that look great all the time that I dont think are like that. So, thanks for this post, it was great!

Mackenzie Family said...

I totally agree with you Kris... I feel so much better with myself when I get ready for the day... Now... there are days when you know what... I JUST DON'T CARE!!!! But I am sure we all have those days... BTW I paint BOTH the girls' nails and the love it too... Jaydyn LOVES getting her hair straightened and asks me to do it for her for school. So I think that if we take the time to teach our kids how to take care of themselves, then they feel better about themselves. I just think that some people take too long getting ready. I do have to agree with Kels though... You are gorg!!!!!!!

Sommerfeldt Summary said...

LOVE this Post and I'm sure you know why. I have so much fun doing Kiaya's hair and painting nails... There is nothing wrong with taking care of yourself and making yourself feel good and anyone who say other wise can just buzz off. I think maybe people just get to comfortable or lazy!