Saturday, January 16, 2010

Things I'm Thankful For... Part Two



I am so thankful for my kids. Both of them, equally. And I have to say at first I wasn't sure if it could be equal. I am probably going to come off as offensive for a minute here, but it is my blog, and this is honestly how I feel... I really thought I was gonna have a favorite. And I was pretty sure that favorite was Grace.
Yup, I just said that.
I had built up this huge bond with her, and while Ben was on the rigs for those two years, it was basically just Grace and I. She taught me a new kind of love and she was my little buddy. I took her everywhere... shopping, outings, dinners, church, staff meetings... I honestly couldn't stand being away from her.

So, when Kaia came along, I obviously loved her to death, and its not like she became this outcast that I shunned, but I sort of felt a little favoritism toward Grace.
Until Kaia started getting her personality. She's hilarious! Seriously sooo funny!
Until she started walking. It was adorable... and I still get a kick out of her "duck walk".
Until she started talking a bit. Yes, its slow coming, but every word is such a rush.

So what I have discovered is, I don't really favor one kid over the other... I favor an age. And that age is basically anything past one. I really don't LOVE the first year. I am different from a lot of moms in the sense that I am kind of counting down the months till my baby has her own personality. I realize it starts to come out in the first year, but it seems like after they hit that first birthday they really start to become fun. I now truly feel like there is no favoritism, (aside from when one of them is throwing a tantrum, then obviously its the other!)
This is my opinion, and I am fully aware that not everyone feels this way, I know my best friend looooves that first stage of "newbornness". I just don't really.
Anyway, I love watching my girls, and Ben has been gone to Utah for the past week, so I feel like I really had a chance to take them in since I was single parenting it. I feel blessed that I got this past week because I feel like I learned so much more just by trying to pay that extra bit of attention to them. Its kind of amazing to me that I can just keep increasing this closeness I feel for them, and I am so grateful every single day for the opportunity to do so.

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

I think alot of moms have felt exactly how you have and do....I am just like you too I love when they start to talk....it is so fun to see them grow and learn. Thanks for sharing the cute pictures too.

kelseyp said...

i will take your babies for there first year of life... is that ok..?

Andy said...

your girls are adorable!

and I love. love. love. the pics of you and kelsey are hilarious (and looking dang good too!). that post made me realize how much i appreciate my best friend and that we need to take more pics together! ha!

hope you don't mind me reading....

momma at home said...

hey love your blog! love the honesty!
and fyi i changed my blog addy so you will have to change it in your settings
love yah

the fellers said...

oh my gosh Kris, those are the best posts...seriously, how cute is your little family? I love your girls and want squeeze them both, how cute! And you and Ben are the real thing....I just think you guys are the best!