Sunday, June 13, 2010

Dead Babies? Are you freaking kidding me!?

I just have to get something off my chest. I don't know if anyone reading this did this, (hope not...) I don't know if anyone reading this wholeheartedly agrees with them... (I don't) and I don't even know if anyone reading this saw them... I did.
The other day I was driving home and went through the intersection by the University. There were five picket signs and a ton of protesters standing on each corner. On those signs- that you literally COULD NOT get away from due to their volume- were dead fetuses. Covered in blood. It was so friggen shocking to me and I cannot believe these people. The protest was for abortion and it was Pro-life. Now, here's the thing. I am totally pro-life. I am against abortion as well. Totally. However- I do not, in anyway, support people holding up the hugest signs ever covered in dead babies! I had Kai in my car, luckily Grace wasn't with me- because try explaining that to a four year old. I do not sugarcoat things for the most part with her. We are very honest with our kids, however that is no more appropriate for my four year old to see than it is for me to see! It was seriously disturbing to me, so I can only imagine what it would have done to my little girl.
Let me be clear, I am only expressing my opinion on my own blog. I don't wanna seem like a hypocrite here, but I just really feel like there is a time and a place for things and this was neither of them. It was at rush hour, and I am certain it was planned that way, so a TON of people saw it and it was on one of the busiest streets in the city, especially due to construction. I guess I just want to know why some people think it is ok to bombard you with their opinions. I would never try to change someones opinion by force ever! I am OK that people think and believe different things. I am ok that we don't all agree on everything. So why is it acceptable for different groups, be it anti-abortion, gay rights, religious zealots, etc, etc- to try and push their opinions down your throat?! And don't even get me started on questioning why only certain groups seem to be acceptable or PC in doing so... that's a whole other blog post.
It rubbed me the wrong way and I had to get it off my chest. I would really rather not drive down the street in my city and have to take in the spectacle of anything that inappropriate again. But I'm sure I will.

5 comments:

Cheryl said...

Wow. That's so awful. I don't understand it either. I really wish they could see that they were doing more harm than good. I'm really glad I didn't see it.

Julie Allred said...

There was alot of controversy about them doing that at the University when I was there. I totally agree with you. While I support pro-life, I don't like the disturbing/shocking way they get their opinions across.

Ashley said...

It's too bad they have to be so extreme about it. That is really disturbing. There is definitely a way better way to go about these things.

marisajbaines said...

i saw some similar pictures when we were out in ottawa... so disturbing... i can still see those poor little babies... on the poster they will name them..so they will say 'no one would give micheal a chance' or something...so weird. i feel bad those babies are being advertised..i am obviously pro life...but i do get annoyed when they use shock value. well, i hope there are a few less abortionists after their picketing!

lynz said...

wow! i had no clue pro-lifers could be so pro-life and go to that extreme! all i can say is that i'm glad i wasn't driving by with you and that i agree about people shoving their opinion down other people's throats. not cool.